Wrinkles are common in both men and women usually starting during your mid 20’s. You can normally spot them around the facial region as the skin is more sensitive and delicate. On top of that, your facial skin is constantly exposed to external factors such as wind, sunlight, dust, radiation and pollution.
While wrinkles pose no particular health problems, most people deem it as an imperfection. Therefore, pharmaceuticals have been producing synthetic solutions that can be detrimental to your health. Natural solutions, on the other hand, are safe for your skin in the long run. Some remedies are even accessible right at home!
Here are some natural approaches you can try instead to prevent/delay wrinkles:
- Use natural antioxidants such as berries, nuts, and orangesForget the synthetic solutions when you can enjoy the benefits of natural antioxidants found in your kitchen. Foods such as berries, apples, grapes, nuts, oranges and green tea can aid in the removal of harmful substances in the body because it is rich in antioxidants. Therefore, include more of these in your diet and your skin will look younger significantly longer than usual. On top of that, every single cell of your body will receive benefit from this approach, and not just the skin.
- Quit or reduce smokingThis reason is particularly important because nicotine has the opposite effect of antioxidants. Nicotine in cigarettes narrow the blood vessels of your skin causing obstructed flow of oxygen and absorption of Vitamin A – a retinoid important to fight against aging.
- Drink at least 2-3 liters of water because wrinkles tend to form in dehydrated skinThe layer of the skin below the epidermis contains hyaluronic acid, glycosaminoglycan, and other substances responsible to keep optimal hydration and elasticity of the skin. However, these compounds need to be provided with a lot of water in order to perform their function optimally. Therefore, drink more water!
- Make your own natural wrinkle-busting creams
You can make your own natural topical cream out of natural sources such as coconut oil or argan oil because they have moisturizing and antioxidant effect. It is perfect because it provides all that your skin needs in order to function properly and it is absolutely safe.
- Minimize your exposure to sunlight and use sunscreenThe most influential external factor in wrinkles formation is the exposure to sunlight. Namely, solar radiation damages the genetic material in your skin and makes it dry, which is a good basis for the development of wrinkles. Mild to moderate tanning is great for your looks, but do not exaggerate. Always use sunscreen, too.
Ganceviciene R, Liakou AI, Theodoridis A, Makrantonaki E, Zouboulis CC. Skin anti-aging strategies. Dermato-endocrinology. 2012;4(3):308-319. doi:10.4161/derm.22804.
Nguyen G, Torres A. Systemic antioxidants and skin health. J Drugs Dermatol. 2012 Sep;11(9):e1-4.
Lee JY, Kim YK, Seo JY, Choi CW, Hwang JS, Lee BG, Chang IS, Chung JH. Loss of elastic fibers causes skin wrinkles in sun-damaged human skin. J Dermatol Sci. 2008 May;50(2):99-107. doi: 10.1016/j.jdermsci.2007.11.010. Epub 2008 Jan 16.